Commit Graph
100 Commits
Author SHA1 Message Date
Colin Walters ced22f6c9b Split trivial-httpd into separate binary
Working on the libcurl backend, I hit the issue that the trivial-httpd program
depends on libsoup. I briefly considered having two versions, but libcurl is
client only, and moreover trivial-httpd is no longer trivial - it has various
features which are used by the test suite extensively.

Hence, what we'll do is build it as a separate binary which links to libsoup,
and use it during the tests. We *also* currently still provide `ostree
trivial-httpd` since some things use it like `rpm-ostree-toolbox` and the
Cockpit tests.

After those are ported to use some other webserver, I plan to add a build-time
option to drop it.

Closes: #636
Approved by: jlebon
2017-01-04 16:32:11 +00:00
Colin Walters c051ee4a35 build-sys: Minor makefile tweaks
I'm introducing a new binary in a later patch, and it makes
sense to move more things to be common into the common section.

Also I noticed we were missing an inclusion of common `$(AM_LDFLAGS)`, though
AFAIK this doesn't break anything right now.

Closes: #636
Approved by: jlebon
2017-01-04 16:32:11 +00:00
Colin Walters 21aca3fa83 fetcher: Split lowlevel API into file/membuf variants
The previous commit introduced a single low level API - however,
we can do things in a more optimal way for the curl backend if
we drop the "streaming API" variant.  Currently, we only use
it to synchronously splice into a memory buffer...which is pretty
silly when we could just do that in the backend.

The only tweak here is that we have an "add NUL character" flag that is
(possibly) needed when fetching into a membuf.

The code here ends up being better I think, since we avoid the double return
value for the `_finish()` invocation, and now most of the fetcher code (in the
soup case) writes to a `GOutputStream` consistently.

This will again make things easier for a curl backend.

Closes: #636
Approved by: jlebon
2017-01-04 16:32:11 +00:00
Colin Walters 9d0d0a26db fetcher: Move high level functions into "fetcher-util"
Conceptually these now lay on top of the core API, and don't reference libsoup.
This is preparation for libcurl porting, but it's also just generally better.

Closes: #636
Approved by: jlebon
2017-01-04 16:32:11 +00:00
Colin Walters af560047a2 fetcher: Hoist core "mirrored request" API to public
This is in preparation for the libcurl port. We're basically making public what
we had internally. The next step here is to create `ostree-fetcher-util.[ch]`
that only operates in terms of this lower level API.

Also drop the `_mirrored` from the function name since it's
the default now.

Closes: #636
Approved by: jlebon
2017-01-04 16:32:10 +00:00
Colin Walters eceb165013 docs: Fix ostree.version -> version
I think originally I had envisioned this as `ostree.version`, but at the last
minute we changed it to just `version`. That's what all of the code uses, so
let's fix the docs.

Closes: #638
Approved by: paulvt
2016-12-23 15:24:56 +00:00
Colin Walters c9d565a5a9 Release 2016.15
Closes: #632
Approved by: jlebon
2016-12-12 17:19:01 +00:00
Colin Walters 8bb8f0e3eb ci: Rebase to f25
This is now the devel target, plus I think this may fix some of the
ASAN issues I'm seeing; I mostly have been using f25 for local
testing.

Also remove the MAINTAINER line since the maintainers are defined by
`git log`.

Closes: #631
Approved by: jlebon
2016-12-12 16:00:45 +00:00
Colin Walters 2f86a5284c lib: Squash last use of GFile deltas_dir
I was having this thought today about making more of the OS readonly,
and ultimately if we got to the point where all ostree operations are
through the repo and sysroot dfds, we could have rpm-ostree be the
only process holding those fds open, and have a read-only bind mount
on top.

Anyways, we're not there, likely won't be soon, but this gets us
closer to being fully fd relative.

Closes: #628
Approved by: jlebon
2016-12-12 15:50:11 +00:00
Colin Walters 5aefe17ee9 ci: Combine UBSAN and ASAN by default
I only recently realized this was possible.  While we're still seeing
leaks in the CI environment for some reason, adding ASAN gives us
use-after-free detection etc., which is obviously still very useful
even if we're not doing leak checking.

Closes: #622
Approved by: jlebon
2016-12-09 18:05:53 +00:00
Colin Walters 67ce5ec917 ci: Drop sudo installed tests
This conflicts with the ASAN work...and in general, I think I'd like
to make a new format for tests that require root, and have them be
defined to be in mutable containers or VMs.

Our coverage loss from this isn't much because some of these tests
already required `CAP_SYS_ADMIN` which we didn't have in Docker
anyways.

While we have the patient open, parallelize the regular installed
tests.

Closes: #622
Approved by: jlebon
2016-12-09 18:05:53 +00:00
Colin Walters 359ea9b58f tests: Tweak installed tests to deal with ASAN
We need to disable readdir-rand there too.

Closes: #622
Approved by: jlebon
2016-12-09 18:05:53 +00:00
Colin Walters 47b4dd1b38 Skip gjs-based tests if ASAN is enabled
Unfortunately, introspection uses dlopen(), which doesn't quite
work when the DSO is compiled with ASAN but the outer executable
isn't.

Trying to inject LD_PRELOAD=libasan means the outer executable has to
be leak free...which, yeah, I'm not going to get into running ASAN
today on gjs or pygobject.

So, let's skip those tests - ideally, we still run them in some other
context without the sanitizers.  The coverage we have from them is
middling anyways.

Closes: #622
Approved by: jlebon
2016-12-09 18:05:53 +00:00
Colin Walters 17f264a487 repo: Add unconfigured-state to remote config options
This is a migration from the origin version.  It's
nicer to have it in the remote, since that's what one
needs to change.  Then tools don't need to mess with
the origin file.o

In fact in this scenario one can keep the "media source" like
`file:///install/repo` or whatever, since conceptually that's where it
came from.  We're just providing a better error.

Closes: https://github.com/ostreedev/ostree/issues/626

Closes: #627
Approved by: jlebon
2016-12-09 17:46:54 +00:00
Colin Walters ef438c8d60 build: Error if glib isn't found
This is a bit extracted from my work on ASAN.

Closes: #625
Approved by: jlebon
2016-12-09 16:35:52 +00:00
Colin Walters c19fae0282 tree-wide: Switch to autoptr for GOptionContext
We were leaking in a few places that I noticed in an ASAN run.  Also,
this was one of the last non-autoptr cleanup sections we have in
`out:` cleanup sections, making us a lot closer to a potential
full-tree rewrite to `return FALSE`.

Closes: #624
Approved by: jlebon
2016-12-08 16:48:20 +00:00
Colin Walters 5155662b57 build: Always do enum scanning now
Since we stopped including the libsoup headers in `ostree-fetcher.h`,
we can now unconditionally do enum scanning, and drop a build time
conditional.

Prep for libcurl porting.

Closes: #620
Approved by: jlebon
2016-12-08 16:34:06 +00:00
Colin Walters 58e318d678 [ASAN] sysroot: Squash a leak in lockfile acquisition
I installed `parallel` in my dev container, which got me
the sysroot locking tests, which caught this leak when
built with ASAN.

Closes: #623
Approved by: jlebon
2016-12-08 16:18:19 +00:00
Colin Walters 7f2830cb4e build: Make libsoup optional again
The "remote cookies" code broke this.  While I'm not sure anyone is
actually using ostree-without-http, it isn't too hard to keep the
build time conditional going.  Further, this work is preparatory for
libcurl porting.

Closes: #621
Approved by: jlebon
2016-12-08 16:04:16 +00:00
Colin Walters 7519457382 fetcher: Define an abstraction over SoupURI
This is preparatory work for a potential libcurl backend.

Closes: #616
Approved by: jlebon
2016-12-07 23:00:58 +00:00
Colin Walters 099576ee4a lib: Ensure we use _GNU_SOURCE in enum templates
Due to the way glib-mkenums runs the preprocessor itself, it
doesn't pick up the `AC_USE_SYSTEM_EXTENSIONS()` that we have in
`configure.ac`.

This blew up in an obscure way when I later wanted to `#include
"libglnx.h"` in one of the headers, since it needs the `basename()`
from `string.h` which is only available with `_GNU_SOURCE`.

Closes: #616
Approved by: jlebon
2016-12-07 23:00:58 +00:00
Colin Walters a2d627352d build: Add more default errors
Newer gcc has `-Wincompatible-pointer-types`, hooray!
Add a few others that we pass today.

Closes: #618
Approved by: jlebon
2016-12-07 16:44:15 +00:00
Colin Walters daf01b27d4 ci: Make all ci tests gating for Homu
See the rhci docs.

Closes: #617
Approved by: jlebon
2016-12-07 15:42:14 +00:00
Colin Walters 37965644ff tree-wide: Use g_hash_table_add() where applicable
Just noticed a few while reading some code, decided to do a quick
cleanup.  It's shorter and clearer.

Closes: #614
Approved by: jlebon
2016-12-06 17:45:23 +00:00
Colin Walters 247a8718bb lib: Remove unused ostree_metalink_get_uri()
While doing something else I noticed it was unused.

Closes: #615
Approved by: jlebon
2016-12-06 16:27:52 +00:00
Colin Walters 0fb3645fed pull: Write .commitpartial for local pulls first too
This is what we do for non-local (i.e. HTTP) pulls; we wnat to
correctly handle being interrupted during partial pulls.

Closes: https://github.com/ostreedev/ostree/issues/579

Closes: #613
Approved by: jlebon
2016-12-06 16:13:53 +00:00
Colin Walters 4c8fc92aa0 lib: Always checksum content in deltas
This is a follow up to conversation on list - in practice, if we're
backing away from summary signing, then it makes sense to remove the
special casing for checksums in deltas around summary signatures.

This is also related to the recent change to enable GPG checking for
commits in deltas - now we have a more coherent story between the
previous pull path and deltas.

I didn't do any performance checking, and while it's slightly annoying
that we're now doing sha256 on the delta content twice (once for the
part and once per object)...sha256 is pretty fast, I think most users
are I/O bound anyways, and it'd drop even farther if we started using
openssl.

Closes: #612
Approved by: jlebon
2016-12-06 15:59:35 +00:00
Colin Walters 66da1199f0 tests/keyfile-utils: Drop tests covering preconditions
The spam in stderr was bothering me, and further at some eventual
point in the future we want to annotate the functions with
`__attribute__((nonnull))` which would then cause tests like these to
become undefined behavior.

The coverage of this isn't worth the log spam basically.

Closes: #611
Approved by: jlebon
2016-12-06 14:50:08 +00:00
Colin Walters 555f1fb03d tests: Use G_DEBUG=fatal-warnings here too
I am trying to track down a warning I see in `test-keyfile-utils`
which turned out to be the installed case only, but let's inject
this here too.

(The GLib default is broken, but it's hard to fix upstream without
 breaking the world)

Closes: #610
Approved by: jlebon
2016-12-06 14:36:06 +00:00
Colin Walters e1c48c8adb [ASAN] tests: Cleanup all current remaining leaks
We now run fully through ASAN here.

Closes: #609
Approved by: jlebon
2016-12-05 15:20:56 +00:00
Colin Walters 7bb0ff46a4 Define and use cleanup helpers for libarchive
This should fix some of the ASAN leaks around libarchive usage,
and is generally better.

Closes: #609
Approved by: jlebon
2016-12-05 15:20:56 +00:00
Colin Walters 62b94635bc [ASAN] tests: Fix leaks
Just for cleaner sanitizer output.

Closes: #598
Approved by: jlebon
2016-11-30 18:51:26 +00:00
Colin Walters 667b734c79 [ASAN] set-origin: Squash a leak
Just a minor leak in the commandline.

Closes: #598
Approved by: jlebon
2016-11-30 18:51:26 +00:00
Colin Walters 161193966c [ASAN] bootconfig: Drop a pointless strdup in parser
Not entirely sure how this was leaking, but anyways it showed
up in ASAN, and it's pointless to strdup here.

Closes: #598
Approved by: jlebon
2016-11-30 18:51:26 +00:00
Colin Walters d83d5b4a29 [ASAN] metalink: Fix leaks of buffer
We should be religious about the "only set output variables on
success", otherwise it makes leaks more likely.

But the real leak was us simply not using autoptr in one place.

Closes: #598
Approved by: jlebon
2016-11-30 18:51:26 +00:00
Colin Walters 1bb6e51486 [ASAN] sysroot: Fix leak/double free of keyfile origin
Use autoptr rather than manual cleanup.  The double free isn't a
security problem, since we trust origin files.

Closes: #598
Approved by: jlebon
2016-11-30 18:51:26 +00:00
Colin Walters 3a459bac2d traverse: Use g_hash_table_add
And "move semantics" via `g_steal_pointer()`.  Just a minor code
cleanup I noticed when I was hunting for a leak, which ended up being
elsewhere.

Closes: #598
Approved by: jlebon
2016-11-30 18:51:26 +00:00
Colin Walters a1224e2de7 [ASAN] cmdline: Fix minor leak in delta cmdline entrypoint
Small, but it's important to stay clean.

Closes: #598
Approved by: jlebon
2016-11-30 18:51:26 +00:00
Colin Walters ab0400b722 [ASAN] deltas: Fix minor memory leak
We were leaking the checksum, ensure we free it in both normal and
error paths.

Closes: #598
Approved by: jlebon
2016-11-30 18:51:26 +00:00
Colin Walters 79cb421ee2 [ASAN] delta compilation: More leak fixes
Now that I remembered to do `env G_SLICE=always-malloc`, lots more
leaks become apparent.  Nothing major.

Closes: #598
Approved by: jlebon
2016-11-30 18:51:26 +00:00
Colin Walters 7584dc0f25 Release 2016.14
Closes: #593
Approved by: jlebon
2016-11-23 16:20:49 +00:00
Colin Walters 49b8a72622 [ASAN] lib: Squash various leaks in library and commandline
The pull one is the most likely to affect users.  Otherwise mostly
just cleaning up `-fsanitize=address`.

Closes: #587
Approved by: jlebon
2016-11-21 16:34:06 +00:00
Colin Walters eb7ba645af [ASAN] tests: Fix some memleaks in libarchive importer
Caught by `-fsanitize=address`.

Closes: #587
Approved by: jlebon
2016-11-21 16:34:06 +00:00
Colin Walters a6eb8bbcf6 tests: Support TEST_SKIP_CLEANUP=err
I find myself often wanting to debug interactively failing tests.
This makes it more convenient to keep around the temporary directories
just for those tests, rather than accumulating tons of tempdirs from
the successful tests as well.

Closes: #588
Approved by: jlebon
2016-11-21 16:11:55 +00:00
Colin Walters 41ef2aeb38 pull: Do GPG verify commit objects when using deltas
The fact that we weren't doing this is at best an oversight, and
for some deployment models a security vulnerability.  Having both
`gpg-verify` and `gpg-verify-summary` shows that we were intending
them to be orthogonal/independent.

Lately I've been advocating moving towards pinned TLS instead of
gpg-signed summaries, and if we follow that path, performing GPG
verification of commit objects even if using deltas is more important,
as it provides an at-rest verifiable authenticity and integrity
mechanism.

Content providers which are signing their summary files and/or using
TLS (particularly pinned TLS) for transport should treat this as a
nice-to-have.  However, for providers which are serving content over
plain HTTP and relying on GPG, this is a critical update.

Closes: https://github.com/ostreedev/ostree/issues/517

Closes: #589
Approved by: jlebon
2016-11-21 15:55:09 +00:00
Colin Walters cb57338a12 pull: Use new per-remote API for GPG verification
Trivial change, but makes things more obvious.  And we get test
coverage of the new API for free.

Closes: #589
Approved by: jlebon
2016-11-21 15:55:09 +00:00
Colin Walters abbd7acaf3 pull: Dedup code for checking for > 0 valid results
We have a public API for this, let's use it internally.

Closes: #589
Approved by: jlebon
2016-11-21 15:55:09 +00:00
Colin Walters c1c70bceb7 [TSAN] Rework assertions to always access refcount atomically
`-fsanitize=address` complained that the `refcount > 0` assertions
were reading without atomics.  We can fix this by reworking them
to read the previous value.

Closes: #582
Approved by: jlebon
2016-11-17 19:41:57 +00:00
Colin Walters f0519e541f [TSAN] main: Stop calling g_set_prgname()
It turns out this is basically racy with the presence of other
threads.  It was really cosmetic so let's stop doing it and make
`-fsanitize=thread` happy.

Closes: #582
Approved by: jlebon
2016-11-17 19:41:57 +00:00
Colin Walters b5c4e6d99a [UBSAN] deltas: Don't call memset(NULL, NULL, 0) with no xattrs
This is actually fine in practice, but it triggers this
`-fsanitize=undefined` warning I saw in the test suite log:

```
src/libostree/ostree-repo-static-delta-compilation.c:160:10: runtime error: null pointer passed as argument 1, which is declared to never be null
```

Closes: #584
Approved by: jlebon
2016-11-17 19:20:20 +00:00
Colin Walters 24bf257ee9 lib: Add an API to GPG verify a commit given a remote
Conceptually we've been moving towards having our GPG verification
paths be per-remote.  The code internally supports this, but we
didn't expose an API to use it conveniently.

This came up when trying to add a new `gpgkeypath` option, since
right now rpm-ostree manually finds keyrings for the remote, and
hence it wasn't looking at the keypath, and said "Unknown key"
in status.

Adding an API fixes this nicely.

Closes: #576
Approved by: giuseppe
2016-11-17 11:33:41 +00:00
Colin Walters f244c70277 Add "gpgkeypath" option to remotes
For Project Atomic, we already have RPM signatures which use files in
`/etc/pki/rpm-gpg`.  It's convenient to simply bind the OSTree remote
configuration to those file paths, rather than having duplicate key
data.

This does mean that we need to parse the files for verification, so we
end up importing them into the verifier's temporary keyring, which is
a bit ugly, but it's what other projects do.

Closes: https://github.com/ostreedev/ostree/issues/573

Closes: #575
Approved by: giuseppe
2016-11-17 09:44:07 +00:00
Colin Walters 3cd5e6b41a lib: Split out helper function to create GPG context
In prep for future work.

Closes: #575
Approved by: giuseppe
2016-11-17 09:44:07 +00:00
Colin Walters a6cfe62eb8 lib: Define and use cleanup functions for gpgme
Just a cleanup in preparation for future work.

Closes: #575
Approved by: giuseppe
2016-11-17 09:44:07 +00:00
Colin Walters 814aa96825 pull: Redo logic for "scanning"
What in the code is called "scanning" is ensuring (potentially
recursively) have an object, and if not, fetching it.  And then if
it's metadata, parsing it and finding new objects to fetch.

This logic has grown fairly complex.  What I'm trying to fix
right now is that if we're doing a pull-local to a remote repository
via `sshfs` (FUSE) we still end up scanning, which is inefficient.

We can take advantage of the "commitpartial" logic here - if a commit
isn't partial, it's complete, hence we don't need to scan it.

At the same time, I'm changing the logic here to *always* do scans for
dirtree objects.  This will fix cases where multiple commits share
dirtree objects.  We have "commitpartial" metadata, but no such concept
of partial/complete for dirtrees.

But, we'll only ever scan dirtrees if we scan commits, which is
what the section above fixes.

Closes: https://github.com/ostreedev/ostree/issues/543

Closes: #564
Approved by: alexlarsson
2016-11-16 22:17:25 +00:00
Colin Walters 37c07d2f1c pull: Add support for http-headers option
Some deployments may want to gate access to content based on things
like OAuth.  In this model, the client system would normally compute a
token and pass it to the server via an API.

We could theoretically support this in the remote config too, but
that'd be a bit weird for OAuth as the information is dynamic.
Therefore this cleans up the code a little bit to more clearly handle
the case that the fetcher is initialized from both remote config
data plus pull options.

Closes: #574
Approved by: giuseppe
2016-11-16 10:04:22 +00:00
Colin Walters 676f0a2797 travis: Drop debian unstable since we can't fetch packages reliably
I don't know what's going on, I suspect mirror churn.  Anyways,
it seems to be consistently failing now, so let's drop it.

Closes: #571
Approved by: jlebon
2016-11-10 17:39:06 +00:00
Colin Walters 36c8946870 Release 2016.13
Closes: #570
Approved by: jlebon
2016-11-10 17:24:39 +00:00
Colin Walters 24ac4ff190 deltas: Only keep one file open at a time during compilation
Otherwise it's possible for us to exhaust available file descriptors
or (on 32 bit) run up against mmap limits.

In the rollsum case, we didn't need to hold open the "from" object
at all.  And in the bsdiff case, we weren't even looking at either of
the files until we started processing.

Also, while we have the patient open, switch to using O_TMPFILE
if available.

Closes: #567
Approved by: giuseppe
2016-11-07 11:17:59 +00:00
Colin Walters 2139f0e437 pull: Don't do deltas with --commit-metadata-only
We should just download the commit objects directly, as it's
obviously a lot more efficient than deltas.

I had to generate a summary file in more places in the tests,
since once created, it needs to be updated.

Closes: https://github.com/ostreedev/ostree/issues/528

Closes: #566
Approved by: jlebon
2016-11-04 16:04:23 +00:00
Colin Walters 730f723869 repo: Don't put remote refs in the summary file
I was doing a chain of mirroring like A -> B -> C

And repo B had A as a remote.  When I added B as
a remote to C, the summary file of B had a ref
upstream:foo/bar/baz, which caused all pulls from
B to C to fail, since the summary file is only
expected to have refs, not refspecs.

Closes: https://github.com/ostreedev/ostree/issues/561

Closes: #565
Approved by: jlebon
2016-11-04 15:16:09 +00:00
Colin Walters a15dc7f191 ci: Use -fsanitize=undefined by default
It's fast enough to use for CI testing by default, and it
can catch a lot of bad things.

Closes: #552
Approved by: jlebon
2016-10-28 17:47:50 +00:00
Colin Walters 05dc77d7e5 remote-refs: Add NULL terminator to options array
Caught by `-fsanitize=undefined`.

Closes: #552
Approved by: jlebon
2016-10-28 17:47:50 +00:00
Colin Walters 396563e7e9 libglnx: Bump to master (for -fsanitize fixes)
Closes: #552
Approved by: jlebon
2016-10-28 17:47:50 +00:00
Colin Walters 7f2960db43 Define an initializer for GVariant{Builder,Dict}
So we build warning-free on GLib (< 2.50, >= 2.50).  This
is a band aid until we hard-require >= 2.50.

Closes: #547
Approved by: jlebon
2016-10-27 18:49:15 +00:00
Colin Walters 835d97d659 deploy: Suppress unused variable warning for fscreatecon cleanup
Fixes the clang build.

Closes: #551
Approved by: jlebon
2016-10-27 17:50:56 +00:00
Colin Walters cbbfb5369f parse-datetime: Use labs() for long input value
Fixes a compliation warning with CLang, I didn't study it to
see whether this was a major issue or not.

Closes: #548
Approved by: jlebon
2016-10-27 17:02:01 +00:00
Colin Walters 21ca60f987 otutil: Note that ot_log_structured takes a printf format
This notably fixes compilation with CLang.

Closes: #548
Approved by: jlebon
2016-10-27 17:02:01 +00:00
Colin Walters b77edf24a3 tree-wide: Remove unused variables detected by CLang
CLang finds these, whereas GCC treats having
`__attribute__((cleanup))` as a use.

This obsoletes https://github.com/ostreedev/ostree/pull/411

Closes: #548
Approved by: jlebon
2016-10-27 17:02:01 +00:00
Colin Walters 82a4f56593 tests: Skip libarchive/selinux tests if in container without SELinux
I'm doing builds and `make check` inside a Docker container, with
selinux on as a build-time option, but no policy in the container.
This currently aborts.  Let's not do that.

(This type of thing is why installed tests are a better model)

Closes: #546
Approved by: jlebon
2016-10-27 16:48:34 +00:00
Colin Walters 27f37b55bc docs: Link to releng-scripts
Now that the repo starts to implement some of this stuff.

Closes: #544
Approved by: jlebon
2016-10-27 16:28:55 +00:00
Colin Walters d3f14f02e3 Release 2016.12
Closes: #540
Approved by: cgwalters
2016-10-21 19:24:31 +00:00
Colin Walters 1d4f1b8878 core: Do create hardlinks to symlinks for checkouts
I was noticing a recent performance issue with checkouts
which seemed to be mostly us going back to doing a `fsync()` on
directories.

Regardless, while looking at that, I saw we were spending time
creating new symlinks. Even though symlinks are small, it's still
better to hardlink them.

Going way back in time, the reason we weren't doing this is
because we were hitting `EMFILE` on ext4, but that was for
gnome-continuous which creates *many* build roots.  Even
there though, they're just a cache, and we handle `EMFILE`.

For ostree-for-host-system, we don't expect to have many roots (just 3
at most transiently), so hardlinking symlinks does make sense.

Closes: #521
Approved by: jlebon
2016-10-17 20:40:15 +00:00
Colin Walters a0e1344cf8 Release 2016.11
Closes: #524
Approved by: cgwalters
2016-10-07 19:21:41 +00:00
Colin Walters 54621d9e53 libglnx: Update to latest
This pulls in a new compilation flag for wrpseudo compatibility.  Also
note we need to add some includes since glnx-libcontainer went away,
and with it some includes for `sys/mount.h` etc.

Closes: #522
Approved by: cgwalters
2016-10-06 11:54:39 +00:00
Colin Walters 524d2d5cb2 trivial-httpd: Port mostly to fd-relative
We were seeing some weird potential memory corruption in this code
when using it for `rpm-ostree-toolbox installer`, which is almost
certainly not its fault, but let's use it as an excuse to port
(mostly) to fd-relative and away from GFile.

Dropping the last GFile use here is a bit tricky as it does have a
nice high level wrapper around inotify.

Closes: #512
Approved by: jlebon
2016-10-05 21:48:41 +00:00
Colin Walters a981e5fd76 checkout: Fix fsync defaults for new API to be off for real
My previous change in https://github.com/ostreedev/ostree/pull/425
actually broke things so we basically used the repository defaults =(

This is a subtle mess since we're only trying to flip things off
for the *new* API.

Clean this up so that the "default repo inheritance" lives only in one
place - in the compat layer for the old checkout API.  The new
checkout API defaults to off period, so the repository state is
irrelevant.

Closes: #520
Approved by: jlebon
2016-10-05 21:34:57 +00:00
Colin Walters 450361d89b boot: Ensure we remount /var writable before systemd does journal flush
Otherwise, we may not get a persistent journal for the first boot.
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1265295

Closes: #511
Approved by: jlebon
2016-09-15 19:41:44 +00:00
Colin Walters f2b6afd2df sysroot: Drop an unnecessary fsync
While looking at a slow update issue (which I'm guessing is
unpredictable I/O latency in an OpenStack instance), I noticed
in one of the traces we were inside a fsync here.

Dropping the fsync here is just another of a long series of unwinding
them - we `syncfs()` the sysroot fd and `/boot` and we have a big
`sync()` anyways.

Closes: #508
Approved by: jlebon
2016-09-14 19:14:46 +00:00
Colin Walters 4f736ac33e sysroot: Drop an fsync for origin file when writing deployments
More fsync pruning.  Since we have a public API for writing the origin
file and it did a fsync before, let's preserve that.  But when writing
deployments as part of a full transaction, we rely on the global
`syncfs()`, so add an internal function for origin file writing that
doesn't.

Closes: #509
Approved by: giuseppe
2016-09-14 10:26:39 +00:00
Colin Walters fcffb73280 sysroot: Port origin writing code to fd-relative
Just preparatory cleanup for a next patch which makes
the fsyncing configurable.

Closes: #509
Approved by: giuseppe
2016-09-14 10:26:39 +00:00
Colin Walters 84a9d61e15 sysroot: Port some small cleanup code to fd-relative
Just a quick patch since I saw this function scroll by in Emacs and it
was too ugly not to be rewritten.

Closes: #510
Approved by: giuseppe
2016-09-14 10:13:12 +00:00
Colin Walters 5893b68ef7 pull: Do allow executing deltas when mirroring into bare{,-user}
In https://github.com/ostreedev/ostree/pull/408 we fixed a
bug where we would crash when trying to execute deltas into
an archive repo (which isn't presently supported).

But that was overly aggressive - we obviously *can* execute deltas
when mirroring into a bare repo.  This should fix a regression with
the way flatpak uses mirroring to pull from a user repo into the
system.

Closes: #506
Approved by: alexlarsson
2016-09-12 12:50:34 +00:00
Colin Walters 36e8ba124e Release 2016.10
Closes: #502
Approved by: cgwalters
2016-09-09 00:28:02 +00:00
Colin Walters 916684ba0d core: Make OSTREE_TIMESTAMP public API
This way e.g. flatpak can detect which timestamp it should use.
See `flatpak/common/flatpak-utils.c:flatpak_zero_mtime`.

Closes: #501
Approved by: cgwalters
2016-09-09 00:10:21 +00:00
Colin Walters 30aaffa995 sysroot: Avoid double cleanup, and ensure no cleanup if specified
Since forever, we've been doing two cleanups.  In
https://github.com/ostreedev/ostree/commit/8ece4d6d51bdbe3e41ab318259276bb83e553aa0
I thought we were doing just one and wanted to go to zero (if specified),
but I actually just dropped one cleanup.

In https://github.com/projectatomic/rpm-ostree/pull/452
@jlebon pointed out the duplication.  Fix this by creating a new internal
deploy wrapper that takes cleanup flags.

(Since we already had the "piecemeal cleanup" API internally, let's
 frame it in terms of that, rather than passing down a boolean).

Closes: #500
Approved by: jlebon
2016-09-08 20:42:09 +00:00
Colin Walters 82b756783b fetcher: Fix another finalization deadlock
If the current repo is already up to date (we have no content to
fetch), it's possible for the fetcher to not request any URIs.  So
create and then finalize it quickly.

Finalization involves calling `g_main_loop_quit()` +
`g_thread_wait()`.  However, if `g_main_loop_quit()` is run *before*
`g_main_loop_run()`, we'll deadlock because GMainLoop assumes in
`_run()` to start things.

This is a common trap - ideally, GMainLoop would record if `_quit()`
was called before `_run()` or something, but doing that now would
likely break people who are expecting quit() -> run() to restart.

In general, we've moved in various GLib-consuming apps to an
explicit "main context iteration with termination condition" model;
see `pull_termination_condition()` in the pull code.

This fixes this race condition.

I verified that an assertion in `_finalize` that more than
zero URIs were requested was hit in multiple test cases, and this patch
has survived a while of make check loops.

Closes: https://github.com/ostreedev/ostree/issues/496

Closes: #499
Approved by: jlebon
2016-09-08 20:09:07 +00:00
Colin Walters 23b4b58d57 delta: Unreference files we've processed
This should help avoid address space exhaustion on 32 bit systems,
and in general is obviously going to improve efficiency.

Closes: #498
Approved by: alexlarsson
2016-09-08 15:21:41 +00:00
Colin Walters e127070550 repo: Only use mmap() for metadata > 16k
See http://stackoverflow.com/questions/258091/when-should-i-use-mmap-for-file-access
and
https://lwn.net/Articles/591978/

I didn't really notice much performance difference in some small
tests, but I happened to be stracing and realized we were `mmap()`ing
even for 50 bytes which is not very useful, so let's not do it.

Closes: #489
Approved by: alexlarsson
2016-09-08 14:56:30 +00:00
Colin Walters 8dbb104cdc delta: Add missing goto out for failure to mmap()
This was hit in practice when generating a delta for a flatpak app on ARM
it looks like.

Closes: #497
Approved by: alexlarsson
2016-09-08 14:34:04 +00:00
Colin Walters 845dc65196 repo: Revert default timestamp from 1 back to 0
Quoting Dan Nicholson in

  <https://github.com/ostreedev/ostree/pull/330#issuecomment-245499099>

  mtime of 0 has been the semantics of ostree deployments from basically
  the beginning of the project. We (and others, see
  flatpak/flatpak@b5204c9) rely on that fact when generating trees.

  In particular, this affects caches that use the mtime of the
  associated file or directory to determine if the cache is valid. By
  arbitrarily changing the mtime of the files to something else, all
  the caches we setup in the build are now invalidated. Preseeding
  caches is really important to the user experience as it avoids
  having the user wait while they're regenerated on first run.

  Now, we could change our build infrastructure to preset all the
  mtimes to 1 to match this change, but what does that do for our
  existing users who are on an ostree that deploys with mtimes of 0?
  We could just revert this change at Endless (and the associated one
  in Flatpak), and that would be fine for our users. However, if we
  point non-Endless users to our apps, they'll have the great
  experience of waiting 10 seconds the first time they launch it while
  the fontconfig cache is rebuilt unnecessarily.

Closes: #495
Approved by: jlebon
2016-09-08 13:35:59 +00:00
Colin Walters dd71999dc9 Release 2016.9
Closes: #481
Approved by: jlebon
2016-08-31 16:36:19 +00:00
Colin Walters a269075724 commit: Don't delete tmp/cache dir
We hold a fd open on this, and it's basically now expected
to be immortal.  Confer that status.

This was showing up in flatpak crashers, because we'd get
an unexpected errno.

(I didn't test this fixes the crasher, but it's clearly right)

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1347293

Closes: #476
Approved by: alexlarsson
2016-08-29 17:30:15 +00:00
Colin Walters 8ece4d6d51 sysroot: Add a flag to suppress post-deploy cleanup
I noticed seeing the output of `prune` twice in rpm-ostree, and had
always wondered why.  When reading the rpm-ostree code to fix
something else, reasons, I noticed the reason - we were pruning once
here, and then once after rpm-ostree regenerates its "base" refs.

There's no reason to clean twice, so let's add a flag so rpm-ostree
can suppress doing it inside libostree.

Closes: #474
Approved by: giuseppe
2016-08-29 07:45:24 +00:00
Colin Walters cfc3934e81 sysroot: Drop unnecessary dup() invocation
It's close-on-exec, not close-on-fork.  I was clearly confused when
writing this; it works just fine to reference the fd in the child and
`fchdir()` before exec.  So drop the unnecessary duplication.

Just noticed this while reading the code for a random other reason.

Closes: #473
Approved by: giuseppe
2016-08-28 13:56:03 +00:00
Colin Walters 3ef4cc2e5b lib: Add an API to list only "our" objects, fix prune to use it
When doing a prune, we should not try to delete objects in parent
repos, since it'll fail.  There is a bigger discussion about the
semantics of `parent=` to be had, but this will fix trying to use
`ostree prune --repo=/ostree/repo/extensions/rpmostree/pkgcache`.

Closes: https://github.com/ostreedev/ostree/issues/467

Closes: #471
Approved by: jlebon
2016-08-25 20:01:37 +00:00
Colin Walters 683e060099 repo: Add prefixes to errors for querying size/deleting
I hit these while causing errors in prune.  Let's add the specific
object we were looking for.

Closes: #471
Approved by: jlebon
2016-08-25 20:01:37 +00:00
Colin Walters 05ac14326c pull: Make .commitpartial files world readable
In CentOS, these happened to appear in a repo that is served
via rsync, and having them not be world-readable caused mirroring
tools to fail.

They aren't secret, so don't make them so.

Closes: #468
Approved by: giuseppe
2016-08-25 13:03:16 +00:00
Colin Walters 77af6844d8 rofiles-fuse: Rework to be based on nlink
Programs like `useradd` try to `open(/etc/passwd, O_RDWR)` to append,
which didn't work with rofiles-fuse.  Thinking about this, I realized
that there's a simpler algorithm for "can we write to this file" which
is "does it have a hardlink count <= 1"?

Switching to this both drops complexity (we no longer need to keep a
hash table of files we created), and also lets useradd work.

Closes: #462
Approved by: jlebon
2016-08-16 21:22:28 +00:00
Colin Walters 3469161e41 test-rofiles-fuse: Actually check out via hardlinks
The test suite was actually doing something before, just
not quite what I intended.  Without `-U` for bare-user checkouts
we end up doing a copy.

Now, a future commit will change how rofiles work, which would cause
the test suite to permit inplace mutation for non-hardlinked files.
So let's ensure they *are* hardlinked.

Closes: #462
Approved by: jlebon
2016-08-16 21:22:28 +00:00